The Knightly Scroll

2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

Remy Fisher, Editor-in-Chief

This past Wednesday, April 18th, the 2nd annual Hope Walk ensued at East Noble High School. Community members, students and staff members all congregated from the brisk spring air into the gymnasium, where free popcorn, beverages, and promotional flyers and posters awaited them. The blue and purple décor also added a nice touch.

The Noble County Suicide Prevention group and Northeastern Center Rehabilitation/Therapy were the main trailblazers of the events. The two organizations work to improve the well-being of all Noble County residents, and are open to new members and supporters.

Even though the weather was questionable, even for the middle of April, participants braced the cold and dreary weather while marching the roughly 25-minute hope walk. Taking place on the football field to the trails of Bixler Park, the hope walk signifies bringing awareness to suicide prevention. The set-up of the event was to metaphorically portray the journey of recovery, with helpful and supportive organizations along the sidelines. This was a way for participants to see second-hand the effects of suicide on their community.

School organizations such as Key Club, Student Council, and student volunteers all pitched in their time and energy to ensure that the event ran efficiently.

Led by Noble County Suicide Prevention member, Hope Walk chairman, and East Noble High School teacher Brittany Mazzola, the event was nothing less of a success.

“For me, it’s about showing support to those who are dealing with depression and suicide that they are not alone and that there are resources in Noble County for them.”

This is Mazzola’s second time chairing the event, and she described the end-goal as simply to show awareness and make sure everyone feels heard.

The event made it apparent that suicide is currently, and has been, a leading cause of death in Indiana. Hoosiers are twice as likely to die of suicide rather than homicide, and residents ages 18-34 are most affected.

Noble County Suicide Prevention is currently accepting new members, as well as training adults in QPR (question, persuade, refer) training. You can visit Noble County Suicide Prevention on Facebook using this link.

If you, or someone you know, are having suicidal thoughts or actions, call the Northeast Indiana suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-284-8439.

• Feature

Avengers Infinity War

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

Feature

La Vie est Belle: A Parisian East Noble Prom

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

News

Academic Super Bowl State Qualifier Results

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

Opinion

Pacific Rim Uprising: Expectation, Dreams, and Reality

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

News

East Noble Science Olympiad State Results

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

Feature

Collage Preview

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

Showcase

Spring Sports are Merely a Month Away

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

News

East Noble Riley Week 2018

• 2nd Annual “Hope Walk” Occurs at ENHS

News

East Noble Student Wins Scholastic Art Award

• News

Snowcoming Day 3: Pajama Day