Farewell to a Legend

Miss Atz with the editors of the 2015-2016 Knightly Scroll staff

Today the staff members of the Knightly Scroll would like to say farewell to someone whom they believe has become an East Noble living legend. She walked the halls of this high school for four years. She graduated in 2008 as one of the top ten students in her class and made the Wall of Fame. And then, four years later, she returned here to begin her career as an English teacher. Since then, she has impacted the lives of her students and coworkers in a powerful way that will last forever.

Her name is Miss Atz.

Today marks the end of her current career here at East Noble High School. Soon she’ll take on life’s next big adventure: getting married in September and moving to St. Louis, Missouri. Although she resigned from her position at East Noble following last school year, she was given the opportunity to substitute teach for the month of August in place of English teacher Mrs. Gump, who is currently on maternity leave. This has given students and teachers alike the chance to thank and appreciate Atz for everything she’s done.

“Ms. Atz was one of my all-time favorite students,” says English teacher Mr. Rickey, “eventually, she became one of my favorite cohorts in the East Noble High School English Department. While she was here, Ms. Atz did a tremendous job not only in the classroom but also in leading the way to the resurrection of the school newspaper. I certainly wish her well and am happy to know her as a friend.”

Many others—which may or may not include the entire Knightly Scroll staff—can say the same. Miss Atz has a knack for befriending those around her, and it’s not hard to imagine why. Her friendliness and undying enthusiasm have helped her connect with her students over the years.

“Easily one of my favorite teachers I’ve ever had,” junior Lief Brandgard describes Atz. “Not only did she teach me what was required, but she also helped me become more expressive. I’m going to miss her.”

Aren’t we all? As Mr. Rickey mentioned, Miss Atz saw the reestablishment of the school newspaper back in 2013. With her help, East Noble’s deceased newspaper, the Scroll, was revived as the Knightly Scroll.

“Thanks to her, the Scroll is what it is today: a thriving success of ENHS,” says sophomore Matthew Demchak, the paper’s current opinion editor.

Reviving the school newspaper was no small task, but Miss Atz more than proved that she was up to it and took on the challenge with no hesitation. She believed that the newspaper could be a success at East Noble High School again, and she saw it through every step of the way. Not only did she motivate the students and advisers around her, she also inspired some of them to make a career out of journalism.

“I had her as a teacher at the beginning of her career, but she has a real passion for it, something that’s rare in young teachers anymore. Without her and her support, I don’t know if I’d be where I’m at now.” says Taylor Lehman, the first editor-in-chief of the Knightly Scroll and current sports editor for Indiana University’s independent newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student. “As a newspaper adviser, people gave me credit for running it, but I did nothing compared to everything she did. She gave so much time and effort to it, and I’m really sad to see her leave.”

In lieu of Miss Atz’s departure, The Knightly Scroll will have a new head adviser in Miss Schlotfeldt, another English teacher who is in her third year at East Noble. Schlotfeldt, like many others, feels her life has also been greatly impacted by Atz.

“Atz took me under her wing from my very first day,” says Schlotfeldt. “[She] has not only modeled for me what it takes to be a great teacher, but also a great friend. I am so grateful that she brought me aboard The Knightly Scroll, and that she has enough faith in me to leave me in charge.”

In addition to the influence Atz has had on students and faculty, her presence has had an equal impact on the administrators at the high school.

“Even though Miss Atz’s time with us has been short, the impact she’s made will be felt for a long time,” says Steve Peterson, principal of East Noble High School. “Her passion for teaching and her love of English will be missed. We are sad to see her leave, but wish her well on her next journey.”

Although she was a pivotal leader for The Knightly Scroll, she also made her students’ English class a little more enjoyable with her personality showing through her assignments and her classroom environment. Kelli Brennan, currently a senior and The Knightly Scroll’s sports editor, was Atz’s student when she was a freshman in Honors English three years ago.

“She played good music, had us analyze the lyrics to a song by the Fray, and was the only teacher I have ever known to blatantly ask whether or not any of us has actually read the chapter we were assigned (not to mention get an honest display of hands),” says Brennan. “Not that fun should be an accurate measure of whether or not a teacher is effective, but Ms. Atz was fun. She put some vitality into the dull aspects of English, and perhaps it’s only the English enthusiast in me talking, but the class was my favorite.”

Some teachers come and go, but some are too awesome to ever be forgotten. And let’s face it: Miss Atz is awesome. It is safe to say that she’ll continue to inspire others in the years to come.

“It’ll be almost impossible to replace her as an English teacher and as a friend,” says Taylor Lehman. “East Noble needs about fifty of her in their teaching staff. I’m going to miss her a lot but I know she will be great wherever she goes.”